torstai 18. elokuuta 2016

Inspired by Lillie Langtry

The bodice in one of the Toulmouche paintings I used as an inspiration to make my natural form ball gown looked very similar to one Lillie Langtry was photographed wearing in mid 1880's. She looked so stunning in those photos that I wanted to try to replicate that with my gown when I was figuring out the details on how to trim the bodice.

And, as she was the obvious inspiration to my dress, I always wanted to try to pose in that dress like she did. I could never look as perfect as she did. This is as close as I could get. But it was a fun experiment.

Bustle back

Also in black and white, just for fun.

On stage

Photo is taken in Alenksanterin Teatteri

tiistai 26. heinäkuuta 2016

Edwardian evening gown

It's made of duchess silk satin. Bodice is lined with cotton and covered with cotton bobbinet. All bodice seams are boned. Skirt is faced with silk satin and it has two cotton bobbinnet over layers. White tulle layer is covered with c. 7000 silver sequins, individually attached. Black tulle has a Greek key appliqué that I cut out of silk velvet and hand stitched in place. Rows of silver and gunmetal sequins border the tulle layers. I also added paper flowers as a decoration.

Straight seams are machine sewn, the rest is hand sewn. Skirt pattern is based on the 1901-1902 reception gown in Patterns of Fashion. Bodice is patterned by myself.

It's worn over a corset that I made from an Atelier Sylphe pattern that was drawn after an original Edwardian corset. Truly a great pattern. I'm also wearing one cotton petticoat.

Testing an S-curve pose.

Stitching the velvet appliqué.

Sequin project.

I used the same technique than in this original Edwardian dress.



keskiviikko 16. joulukuuta 2015


It's been a while. Life happened, both good and bad. And with such a force that sewing (and this blog) came to a halt and got put on the back burner.

I've gotten lovely emails during this time and I tried to answer some of it. But my poor blog related email was as neglected as my blog and most of it went unanswered. Also, most of it is from so long ago that I'm sure the topic has passed now. I feel like going through it now would be a "too little, too late" kind of situation. Especially as I'm still fighting to find the time to get back to regular sewing and posting. I apologize. Thank you for reaching out to me.

I have completed a few projects during this time. An 18th century riding habit shirt (full length, based on a theory), Edwardian corset and combinations, a Victorian seaside dress and a Victorian court presentation gown.

I also have several nearly finished projects, a mid 18th century riding habit (fashioned after that brown riding jacket in V&A with the wide silver trim), a sheer striped 1780's dress, an 18th century Jesuit, an 1880's riding habit and an 1870's ball gown.

I'm also close to finishing my dress in the Vernet project

Then I have big plans to make an Edwardian ball gown after this lovely photo during next spring.

The plan is to blog about the events I've been to and the few projects I've done starting next week and hopefully have a fresh start for the year with all the new projects. 

maanantai 29. syyskuuta 2014

Mid 18th century shift

My c. 1790 shift was so obviously wrong for my c. 1740 stays that I had to make a new appropriate one. I followed Sharon Ann Burnston's article very closely, including the cut. I was glad to have the article because I never would have dared to make the sleeves so full on my own.

It's completely hand sewn from light weight linen with linen thread.

And having finished the shift, I'm also able to show off the corset a little better.

And without stays:

Construction is explained in detain in the article, but basically the seams are felled, neckline and hem hem stitched and the gathering stroke gathers.

I closed the cuffs with ties through the button holes but you could use cufflinks.